Radon is a gaseous highly radioactive element discovered by English physicist Ernest Rutherford in 1899. The discovery is also credited to German physicist Friedrich Ernst Dorn in 1900. More specifically, Rutherford discovered radon’s alpha radiation and Dorn discovered that radium was releasing a gas.
In other words, Radon is a cancer-causing radioactive gas. You cannot see, smell or taste radon, but it may be a problem in your home.
The U.S. Surgeon General’s office, the American Medical Association, the EPA, the American Lung Association and state health departments have stated that Radon is the 2nd leading cause of lung cancer in the United States today (2nd only to cigarette smoking). Some scientific studies of radon exposure indicate that children may be more sensitive to radon. This may be due to their higher respiration rate and their rapidly dividing cells, which may be more vulnerable to radiation damage.
The EPA and the Surgeon General recommend testing ALL homes for radon.
Testing is inexpensive, simple, non-evasive, and can be done in a 48-72 hour time frame.